Today is World Storytelling Day, which means it is time for our annual storytelling contest: Retell, Remix, Rejoice - this time, with a twist! This year’s edition of Retell, Remix, Rejoice will focus on translating some wonderful storybooks on StoryWeaver, and adding to the pool of multilingual children’s literature.
Translate storybooks and share the joy of reading in 10 languages
At StoryWeaver, we believe that every child deserves joyful storybooks in her own language. In order to work towards this, Retell, Remix, Rejoice 2020 will nurture the translator community, to find and encourage translation talent in 10 languages: Bahasa Indonesia, Hindi, Gondi, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu, and Vietnamese.
If you are fluent in one or more of these languages, just fill in the participation form (link below), and we shall assign you a storybook. All you have to do is translate the book into the shortlisted language and submit it!
This year’s prize
The winner(s) will have a one-on-one mentoring and feedback session with an editorial expert. The winner(s) will also receive a print copy of the translated book (only for participants based in India), and the winning translation will be published and highlighted as a Recommended title on StoryWeaver.
How to enter
Enter the Retell, Remix, Rejoice 2020 contest here: https://bit.ly/RRR_Contest
Guidelines for submission
1. The contest will run from March 20, 2020 to May 20, 2020
2. All translations submitted must be your own work.
3. Translations must be in Bahasa Indonesia, Hindi, Gondi, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu, or Vietnamese.
4. Participants must be over the age of 18 to participate.
5. By submitting your work to Retell, Remix and Rejoice 2020, you are agreeing to a CC-BY 4.0 license being applied to it. This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. To know more about CC-BY 4.0, click here.
6. Terms and conditions apply. All final decisions rest with Pratham Books’ StoryWeaver. For more read here.
1. I am an individual - can I take part? What will I need to participate?
Yes! Your translating skills are very helpful. All you will need is a WiFi connection and a desktop or laptop.
2. I represent an organisation. Can we take part?
We encourage you to spread the word in your network, to participate as individuals if they are fluent in one (or more) of the listed languages.
3. I have no prior translation experience - is that okay?
It is absolutely fine if you have no prior translation experience - if you are fluent in one of the listed languages for RRR 2020, you are all set! Refer to our translation resources here, for some useful tips on the nuances of translating children’s storybooks and for a guide on how to use the StoryWeaver Translator tool.
4. Is there prize money to be won?
There is no prize money. However, the winner(s) will receive a print copy of the translated book (only for participants based in India), and the submitted translation will be published and highlighted as a Recommended Translation on StoryWeaver. The winner(s) will also have a one-on-one session with a Pratham Books’ editorial expert.
5. How will I get credited for the book(s) I translate?
Once you create your own, individual account on StoryWeaver, this ensures that you receive an attribution for your translation.
6. Can I translate more than one book?
Absolutely! Do mention this in the entry form. However, while multiple entries are allowed, every translation will be taken on its own merit at the time of evaluation.
7. Can we translate books into more than one language?
Yes! Do select the languages accordingly in the entry form.
8. What if the book that is assigned to me already has an existing translation? Does my contribution still count?
Yes, it does!
9. Can I write my own story?
This edition of Retell, Remix, Rejoice is focussed only on translation, and not original submissions.
Enter the Retell, Remix, Rejoice 2020 contest now!: https://bit.ly/RRR_Contest
For any queries, do write to us at [email protected]